The Impressive Clergyman: Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder tooday. Mawage, that bwessed awangment, that dweam wifin a dweam...
[cut to Westley, Inigo, and Fezzik]
The Impressive Clergyman: And wuv, tru wuv, will fowow you foweva...
[cut to the trio again]
The Impressive Clergyman: So tweasure your wuv.
Prince Humperdinck: Skip to the end.
The Impressive Clergyman: Have you the wing?
[cut to the trio once more]
The Impressive Clergyman: ...and do you,Pwincess Buwwercup...
Prince Humperdinck: Man and wife. Say man and wife.
The Impressive Clergyman: Man an' wife.
So...marriage. Is it really all it's cracked up to be? Is it really the truly life fufilling, soul satisfying, dream within a dream?
As we've gotten closer to the wedding (44 days!!!), my thoughts have turned to these. Now let me clarify something. I am by no means second guessing my decision to marry Grey or doubting that he's the one I want to spend the rest of my life with...I'm merely just wondering at the amount my world will change.
I think as I get closer to becoming Mrs. L, it's important that I keep my hopes and dreams locked in one particular thing - Jesus. Jesus is the only one that will truly satisfy my heart, that will truly love me unconditionally, that will never disappoint me. He is my life, my hope, my love.
It's going to be important that I look at Grey, as my almost husband, and look at him purely as a gift from God. On earth, he will take care of me, he'll love me, he'll support me, etc. We'll be hopefully have children, we'll hopefully grow old together, we'll hopefully buy rocking chairs and put them on our front porch and sit there when we're 90. He will be my soul mate and my best friend. I am so excited to be marrying him. However, he is still human. He will make mistakes as will I. It's going to be important though, that I keep an eternal perspective, that we look at marriage as being a picture of Christ and the church, that we look at our marriage as displaying a picture of the gospel to people who have never seen it.
For me, this means God is going to continously be asking me to be patient with Grey, to love him and support him as a husband, to serve him as his wife, and to just have fun with him.
I think it's going to be quite an intense couple of months at the beginning as God begins working in both our hearts of what it means to be husband and wife. Hopefully, if we truly keep an eternal perspective and remember that Jesus has our hearts and souls, we'll remember that we love each other and that everything will be ok (even when we fight over an open/closed shower curtain)! :)
Thursday, November 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

great thoughts. I'll be praying for you two!
ReplyDeleteSuch a great reminder for those of us even in different stages of life. Marriage isn't the end result. We have our leading man, Jesus, and need to strive to glorify Him best in singleness as well as in marriage! Thanks Becky!
ReplyDelete