Saturday, February 27, 2016

It is well with my soul

The are so many words I'd like to say, so much running through my mind that at times, it's overwhelming.

I've been contemplating getting another tattoo for over a year now. Then the summer hit and along with that came an unexpected baby, a turned down job, and a possible cancer scare. Those things may have seemed only trivial to some people but to me, they hit hard.
 I don't think many people REALLY knew how much I struggled that summer.
I cried a lot. I was angry and bitter and wanted to do everything but run to God. I didn't blame Him, I merely just didn't want to find my comfort in Him.
I clung to several hymns that summer, listening to them over and over again.  I felt relief knowing that even though I didn't feel it, "it was well with my soul."  There was grace in not liking the unexpected and Jesus undid my shame and anger. He covered all my sins and thankfully, healed my bitterness.

Fast forward to this month.
I got a phone call from one of my BFF teacher friends letting me know that one of my other teacher friends (32 years old) had a failing liver and was put on the list for an immediate transplant. Literally less then ten days later, on my birthday, she passed away.
I had no words. The same age as my middle sister, this hit home again.  I didn't go to her funeral. I (thankfully) couldn't find childcare for James but I don't know that I could have made it through the service if I had to. Someone posted that the hymn, "It is well with my soul" was played at her funeral.
I've always thought that there are no coincidences- coincidences are simply small miracles that God doesn't get credit for. This hymn again brought such peace to my heart. She may be gone from this world, but she now gets to celebrate Heavenly birthdays and worship Jesus. It truly is well with her soul now.

This tattoo may have started out as a reminder to me, that "no matter my lot, it is well" but now it also represents a loving memory of my beautiful friend who's no longer suffering.

1 comment:

  1. well written! (The post..and the tattoo:) I love the new look!

    ReplyDelete