Friday, November 11, 2011

Random Updates

1. (I won't spoil anything, don't worry!)

If you want to read about the Vel' d'Hiv roundup, click here

I just got done reading Sarah's Key. Set in France during WWII, it describes occupied France and it's round up of Jews. Sarah is a little Jewish girl whose family gets taken to the Vel' d'Hiv in Paris before being deported to German concentration camps. When the soldiers come to get her family, she hides her little four year old brother in a cabinet trying to save him. The majority of the book is spent with her trying to get back to Paris to save her brother.

What did I think?
It was hard, emotional, stunning, and yet beautifully written. It was definitely something that I think everyone should read. It was one of those books, like "The Help," that sort of changes your perspective on things. It's definitely not a pleasure read so don't expect it to be. It was however, one of the only books where I could not force myself to quit reading. Despite being ridiculously sad in some parts (the author did a good job of not overly dramatizing brutality), I felt like I had to keep reading it, like whether Sarah got to her little brother in the end depended on me finishing it.
You should read it.

2. This little guy,

has a serious issue with not wiping himself when he goes to the potty. Today I discovered an "issue" on his bottom/tail that needed to be fixed so what did Grey and I decide to do? Give the fella a bath.

Woah. woah. woah. Did any warning signs go off in your head cause they certainly didn't in my "everything will work out perfectly" mind.
Think again Becky. It was a total disaster. We couldn't even get him in the tub without him clawing me to pieces AFTER we clipped his claws. We finally resorted to wrapping him in a towel and scrubbing his butt with a wet wash cloth. Ek.

3. I've been working on some crafty projects during the past couple of weekends.


We're going to frame these and hang them on our wall. I still have to do a little more with them but this is the basic outline.


That's all for right now!
-B

1 comment: