Sunday, September 19, 2010

Realization

This is why I am where I am:

During the second week of school, the kids had taken a test (during a 90 minute block) and I was trying to get them to start on a fun activity introducing the next unit. They were being miserable - absolutely miserable. I couldn't get them to cooperate or do anything that I asked them to do. I finally threw my hands up in the air and asked them why they were being so miserable. I had one kid who looked at me and in front of the whole class said,
"Ms James - even when you're yelling at us, you're still giving us more attention then we get at home."

That was it.
Even when my days are horrible (like last Friday when I had a parent come down to the front office yelling), I still have to realize that Jesus has me in this high school for a purpose. I need to love on those kids like their mommas would because for some of them, I'm the closest thing that they've got to a parent.

Doesn't it break your heart?

I'll never ever ever forget what that kid said to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment